Cold Weather and Your Skin
The appearance of snowflakes reminded us that winter’s here; if not by the calendar, by the weather itself. Winter conditions can be tough on skin and result in chapped lips and other annoying problems caused by the cold or lack of moisture in the air. Here are a few tips to help you prevent dry, itchy skin this winter:
- Hydrate – be sure and drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Use moisturizer after bathing or showering and before bed. Use mild soap that leaves skin oils in place.
- Shaving is more likely to cause nicks and scrapes when skin is dry. Be sure your blade is sharp and use moisturizer or shaving lubricant.
- Begin using lip balm early in the season. Chapped lips are easier to prevent than fix.
- Use hand cream and pay special attention to cuticles to prevent hangnails.
The American Cancer Society recommends that all adults over 20 years of age should have a full body skin exam each year. Dr. Alexis Young is board-certified in Dermatology and Dermatopathology. Make an appointment for a skin exam and take advantage of her expert cosmetic procedures as well. To make an appointment with Dr. Young, call 201-666-3900 or visit: http://oldhookmedical.com/our-doctors/alexis-l-young-m-d/